Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hiker Vows To "Make the CDT My Bitch"

Shane O'Donnell, Future CDT Speed Record Holder

For Immediate Release 10/26/11
Ignorance and a delusional sense of self-confidence.
That is what Shane O'Donnell will be relying on when he embarks on his bold and quite possibly life-threatening attempt to "not just shatter, but mug at knifepoint and beat senseless" the Continental Divide Trail speed record.
The 41-year-old Roslyn resident plans to depart from the trail's southernmost point in New Mexico early in May - probably on May 1st - in an attempt to complete the trail, which snakes through 5 states from New Mexico to Montana, in record time.
"I'm going to hike the entire CDT in 28 days," says O'Donnell, "I don't just want to break the record.  I want to smash the record into small pieces, sauté those pieces, eat them, and then poop them into a 6-8" deep cathole.  It's kind of a statement for me."
There is some doubt about the possibility of breaking the record, insofar as it doesn't actually exist.  Jackie McDonnell, CDT Guide Book author, explains: “There really isn’t a definitive speed record for the CDT because the trail itself doesn’t have one official route.  There are multiple termini, cutoffs, alternates and foul-weather routes.  Everyone’s CDT hike is unique in the sense that everyone hikes a slightly different (or sometimes greatly different) trail.  Setting a speed record would be meaningless, because it’s incredibly unlikely that any two people would hike the exact same trail.  Seems like poor planning. Is Shane O’Donnell even aware of this?”
Shane is aware of this, but insists that poor planning is part of his strategy.  
“There are a lot of naysayers and haters out there who know an awful lot about the CDT.  But they don’t know anything about me, about my inner drive, my refusal to quit even when what I’m attempting makes no sense whatsoever,” Shane explains, “it’s pretty clear that being completely aware of what I’m facing might crush my unrealistic expectations.”
Even if one assumes that the CDT is, in length, the minimum that has been estimated (approximately 2800 miles), Shane would have to clock 28 straight 100 mile days, including stretches in high altitude mountains that may be impassable due to snow.  Is he up to it?
“People tell me that I’m off the wall.  But that’s where everyone else is.  They’re ‘off the wall’ because they’re ‘on the floor.’  I’m ON the wall, and only I know what that means.  But experience?  Yeah, I’ve got tons.  I was a Boy Scout for a summer when I was, I think, 13.  And when I worked in Boston, the other valets and I once built a huge snow cave that we hung out in instead of working, so I’m comfortable with winter extremes.  Plus I’ve walked more than 30 miles in a day.  I don’t see how 100 miles is much different.  Or 28 of them in a row.”
Such a pace suggests that Shane will need to run, most likely for up to 22 hours per day, but he insists that he will hike unsupported.  Says Shane, “I guarantee that I will not wear underwear for the entire hike.  Wait.  What was the question?”

Though he’ll be unsupported, he expects to be followed, in a sense.
“Yeah, I’ll be tweeting, posting to Instagram, and updating on Facebook.  Then of course there’ll be my website, and my blog, and interviews I’ll do along the way, plus probably some updates on some charity sites I’ll link to in an attempt to get sponsorship and lessen awareness of my overly apparent narcissism.  I expect that everyone will be interested in paying attention to me.  Why wouldn’t they?”
While the answer to that may be painfully obvious to some, Shane insists that he will be inspired by all of the doubters, if not by the natural beauty that surrounds him.
“I’ll be thinking about the doubters the whole way as I beat the CDT so bad it’s own mom doesn’t recognize it,” he says, “I mean, they told Napoleon he couldn’t successfully invade Russia, but he didn’t listen, right?  I know that complete ignorance and self-delusion only gets you so far, but the fact that I won’t back down tells me this is a lock.  When I get done crushing the CDT, the Houston Astros will be making fun of it.” 
When contacted for an opinion, Garret “The Onion” Christensen asked, “What does that last sentence even mean?”
He’ll have to wait until May 2012 to find out.  




27 comments:

  1. This is your brain on drugs! 100 mile days, what a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this for real? Wow. I am slightly speechless in the absurdity and ridiculousness of the attempt. As a solo hiker who just completed a NOBO hike on the CDT this year I can assure you, that Shane has not researched this trail. This is NOT the AT or the PCT or your mother's backyard! There is no completed trail as Jackie stated, there is no set route, no definition and 2800 is not the minimum distance. You can walk a route much less or a route slightly more. What's the point? Those of us hikers who spend months out there still don't have enough time to savor the moment and engage with the beauty that this country still possesses.
    I shake my head in the ridiculousness. To each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But will you bring cheese? Please lord do not forget the CHEESE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the audaciousness of it all. The in your face bravado. An excellent April Fools joke a little early. The best thing is some people are taking this seriously. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. Watts
    Since CO already has 3 ski areas open for skiing, I hope Shane gets more of the record snow that fell last winter and then we will see just how speedy and ass-kicking he is. I bet he will be crying like a baby once the rivers rage and the snow is deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to forget he will be hiking in his original external frame boyscout pack from the early 80's. Eating only canned beans and cured bacon. Navigation completely with an early astrolabe. Oh and only one resupply, just a quick hitch to Jacksonville, Vermont. Good luck Jester! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hook. Line. Sinker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jester, does this mean you'll be needing another team of Bad Wizards? What's the application process? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Pinkus:

    1. Carry the Bad Wizard for some length of trail in his relay to Canada, or

    2. Slumber with the team beneath our ultralight clown tent, or

    3. Bitterly complain about the weight and absurdity of carrying such a useless object as the wizard, and otherwise behave like an otherwise lovable asshole, but all without slipping on douchebaggery.

    Requirements, not in order of importance:

    A. A museum, art gallery, theatrical appreciation of the ridiculous, and willingness to on occasion break the fourth wall in participation.

    B. A fondness for alcohol with which to wash down your breakfast energy bar.

    C. A love, or at least tolerance, for cheese and a good deal of tolerance for the associated outgassing of extraneous rennet particles.

    D. Honestly, a good sense of humor

    Disqualifications:

    Douchbaggery

    Disclaimer

    We are an equal opportunity band of misfits.

    HR HuffnPuff

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to join you and be a Bad Wizard, but I'm not sure I could do the hundred mile days. I'll definitely be watching for updates and looking forward to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really support your ambitious quest to die in the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I southbound while you northbound? And, by that I mean I'll be here in Boulder when you hike past.
    Love Sweet K

    ReplyDelete
  14. I resent this highly disrespecful and limelight-seeking stunt for the sole reason that I didn't think of it first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. pffft "it's not about the miles..." Wrong! Obviously, it's ALL about the miles.
    ...and the "benjamin's".
    ...as well as the hot girls. Although it's true there aren't many hot girls. Sometimes none. Typically that absence is replaced by beer.
    So, like I said, "it's all about the beer".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Connecting his dots from bar to bar. Go Jester!- Teatree

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. I, too, think that the number of folks that are taking this seriously is FUNNY. It's Jester, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. May I suggest also carrying an emergency case of Guiness for when the bars are spread out a little to far?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I firmly believe you need to walk at least 10-20 miles of the 100 a day backwards, wearing a banana costume (I know you have one) and singing irish folk songs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nicely done Jester! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heya Jester - I'm fairly certain you could get the CDT pregnant just by looking at it.
    Cheers to 2T0B1W2!
    Coyote

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just finished my first 80 mile day - and it's not lunchtime yet! Eat my dust, Jester!
    - Matthew Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hilarity. "Houston Astros" indeed. Snow cave building finally came in handy. Go Jester Go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Let me just go to the washroom and cut a couple of anxiety farts and then come back here and go to town on your Continental Divide."

    -- Shane O'Donnell

    (Also Family Guy S07E05)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the funniest material I've read in a long time. Well-played!

    ReplyDelete