Thursday, October 3, 2013

Anish Breaks Speed Record For Lunch At ALDHA-West Gathering


Speed records have been a hot topic lately in the world of long distance hiking, with 2013 seeing record-setting hikes on both the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail.  But it would be difficult to describe the awe with which most are describing the latest record breaking feat -- the shattering of the speed record for Lunch at the ALDHA-West Gathering.

When Heather “Anish” Anderson sat down for Lunch on September 28th of this year, many thought the record, set in 2008, was unbeatable.  But Anish knocked a full 35 seconds off of it, an unheard of amount of time in a field where records are normally broken by seconds. 


Anish, struggling momentarily with the soup.

Previous record holder Joe “Tatu-Jo” Kisner, who set the previous mark of 2 minutes, 42 seconds in 2008, was on hand at Camp Augusta Saturday.  “Anish is a machine,” said Kisner, “I only recently switched to veganism, which this year made Lunch incredibly confusing for me.  But she has Lunch down.  We were all rooting for her.”

While Anish says that the trail community is mostly supportive,  some don’t see the point of breaking Lunch records.  “I could never eat Lunch that fast,” said one member of ALDHA-West, “you know, EYOL and all, but I don’t know how you can enjoy Lunch like that.  I think you have to slow down, savor it.” (That member preferred to remain unnamed for this story, stating, “yeah, the thing is, I prefer to do my smack-talking anonymously on the internet”) 

Anish takes this point of view in stride.  “There are occasionally people who are critical of the speed at which I eat.  But I really do enjoy it.  I tell people that I’m eating the same Lunch as them.  Only faster.  And without meat.  Or chewing.”

The website Fastest Known Time (FKT) doesn’t recognize Lunch records, and it's all done on the honor system.  But there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that this record is genuine.  Said Barney “Scout” Mann, “I was sitting right next to her the whole time.  She was eating Lunch.  And I own a watch.  It’s not too hard to figure out.”

Scott Williamson, Anish, and Tatu-Jo: Big Names In Speed Lunching

With a new record of 2:07 set, many discussed the possibility of what was once thought impossible -- a sub-two minute Lunch.  “I think it’ll happen eventually,” said Tatu-Jo, “Lunch records are all about challenging yourself.  Maybe Scott will do it.  Maybe he’ll figure out a way to Yo-Yo Lunch.  Who knows?”

What’s next for Anish?  She has entered the lottery for the Hard Rock 100 and hopes to have a chance to be a part of the race, which starts on her 33rd Birthday.  If she doesn’t get a spot via the lottery, she plans to break the record for Eating An Entire Birthday Cake At High Altitude, a record currently held by Sarah “Coyote” Holt.

(Update: Shortly after the record was set, Anish’s record was broken at the same Lunch by Cam “Swami” Hogan, who shaved two seconds off the record while eating Lunch in a supported fashion -- with assistance from Justin “Trauma” Lichter.) 


Swami Breaks Anish's Record With Assistance From Trauma

14 comments:

  1. OMG Jester... classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to pay tribute to my support team of Justin "Trauma" Lichter and the kitchen staff at Camp Augusta, who were responsible for all my Paleo meals whilst at ALDHA West. A special thanks to my sponsor 'Outback Steakhouse' and heartfelt condolences to Bink, Tatu and Anish.......better luck next year guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! Nice! Congrats on the record!

      Delete
    2. Wow, hilarious! Total Hiker-Onion report.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jester.

      To be honest it was bittersweet. The fabled and much coveted ‘two-minute lunch barrier’ was about to be broken when an unidentified assailant (who looked a lot like Georgi Heitman…….or perhaps Tatu Jo dressed up to look like Georgi??) “accidentally” bumped Trauma’s feeding arm during dessert. The Apple pie went up my nose instead of into my mouth and the chance to make history had gone.

      I’ve heard wind of some wild rumors being circulated by the Bink/Tatu/Anish “unsupported” faction………these are completely unfounded. Yes, it’s true that I did ‘bonk’ early on in the meal and I needed to briefly step away from the dinner table………….however, afterwards I came back stronger, albeit a little emptier than ever.

      I’d like it known that I dedícate my FKT to my cavemen-wannabee brethren. I did it for them; not for any glory/book deals/mini-series that may happen to come my way.

      Any accusations of skipping ‘courses’ during the record will hereafter be addressed directly by my team of high powered lawyers, provided for me by my amazing sponsor (did I mention them before?), ‘Outback Steakhouse’.

      Semi-sincerely,

      Swami

      Delete
    4. Hmmm........perhaps "heard wind" should have been "got wind"..........although in the aftermath of the 'South of the Border' awards dinner, maybe it was a little of both...........

      Delete
    5. You're starting to make me question which one of us is supposed to be the funny one.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the laugh! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in stitches!!! Too hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please write for the Onion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great content to HEP me ignore the ongoing SKIN GRAFT that trails down from my forehead to the tip of my nose (WITH a strip of flesh still connected) and subsequent 20 plus stitches - WHEW!

    ReplyDelete